Medigap Plan L

Medigap plan L is one of the two very unique Medigap insurance plans (Plan K the only other to have similar benefits). Even when compared with Medigap plan M or Medigap plan N benefits plan L sticks out as very unique.

Medigap Plan L Coverage


Unlike the coverage offered by other plans Medigap Plan L uses coinsurance and deductibles to provide coverage. The only coverage gap that is covered 100% is the Medicare Part A coinsurance. There are also three gaps that receive no coverage: Medicare Part B deductible, Medicare Part B excess charges, and charges for a foreign travel emergency. What makes plan L unique is that it covers the other five Medicare coverage gaps with a 75% coinsurance until you hit the out of pocket limit of $2,320.

For example, if you were admitted to the hospital you would pay 25% off the Medicare Part A deductible of $1,156 (or $289). Medigap plan L would cover the other 75%. IF you then had to go to your doctor every week for the rest of the year you would pay 25% off the Medicare Part B coinsurance. When your total spending reaches $2,320 for the year you would then no longer pay any of the 25% portion. If you did a Medgap plan F comparison you would see that Plan L has much less coverage; with plan F covering all the gaps 100% with no deductible. So why would anyone choose Medigap plan L when other plans cover so much more? The answer is the cost. You see Medigap plan L permiums can be much less expensive than many of the other medigap plans. The only way to know if it is the right plan for you is to look at the costs for the different plans.

Medigap Plan L Costs


The cost of Medigap plan L premiums is really determined on a person by person basis. The main factors that are taken into account for Medigap plans are: age, health, gender, and location. If you are just turning 65 or just starting your Medicare Part B coverage then you have a six month window where health is not taken into account. So if you have an ongoing illness or other factors that affect your health negatively you want to make sure you get in during this open enrollment period. It is your best chance to get very cheap rates.

ChoosingAMedigap.com is here to support you in your Medigap decisions. Our highly trained team eats, drinks, and sleeps Medicare supplements so you do not have to. If you have any questions or if there is any way we can serve you please contact us.